The Summit County Educational Service Center is committed to promoting leadership and providing quality services that support teaching and learning opportunities for local and affiliated school districts in support of their continuous improvement efforts to enhance student achievement.
The Summit County Educational Service Center (SCESC) was first established as the Summit County Board of Education in 1914 when Ohio's 80th General Assembly sanctioned the founding of a county board of education for each of the 88 counties in Ohio. The primary aim of a county office was to provide administrative management and leadership to local school districts, the majority of which were small.
In 1995 Ohio's state legislators authorized that all county boards of education be called "education service centers." This same provision also changed the name of our board of education to "governing board." This governing board is elected by the voters of all the local school districts.